Success in engineering takes more than technical expertise. It takes social skills, public speaking, networking ability, good work habits, etc. The articles below are based on my personal experience and advice to the engineers I have mentored generally revolving around these issues.
Core article that sums up the reason for this website:
Skill Building, Study Methods, Certifications/Continuing Education
- Life is an OPEN BOOK test. Can you FIND the information you don’t know?
- Want to be a successful engineer? Here are 4 non-technical habits every engineer should develop
- Why Public Speaking is the MOST IMPORTANT Skill for ALL engineers; Even if you don’t talk to groups
- Failing an engineering class is not the end of the world, what you do next is what is important
- Why (many) engineers suck at writing and what can we do about it . . .
- Studying by Cramming or Pacing? AKA, when 1+1+1 does not equal 3.
- Getting the most out of your engineering internship
- Combining a passion for engineering and a love of sports . . . Yes, it can be done
- Imposter Syndrome . . . aka “I feel like a moron”
- Dispelling two common misconceptions about a career in engineering
- Will an MS be helpful to your engineering career? Sometimes, but not always
Networking, Job Search
- Why using non-engineering interests is key to building your engineering network
- 7 networking tips for engineering conferences or job fairs
- Why you need to build your engineering network EVEN if you are not job searching
- Online applications are great for the employer, but suck for you. Here’s a better way.
- “Will you be my Friend?” 3 Tips for Getting Strangers to Connect on LinkedIn
- Engaging or a Snoozer? Improve Your LinkedIn Profile to Jump Start Your Engineering Job Search
- Getting Back to “Nursery Mode”; Two Simple Tips to Make Engineering Connections, EVEN With Strangers
- Graduated with an engineering degree this month, but don’t have a job? Here are three pieces of advice that may be helpful.
Did you like these articles and want to receive additional EXCLUSIVE tips & advice directly to your inbox? Join my my (FREE) Private Newsletter where I share actionable items to help you build your skills towards a successful career. Join now using the sign-up form in the sidebar and I’ll send you a FREE copy of my guidebook, Building Your Engineering Network on LinkedIn.